Monday, October 5, 2009

First Weekend part I

This blog entry is going to be a little bit different because I’m writing it while I’m off-line due to the fact that today is Sunday and everything ( well almost everything..there’s a few places open.. like the gelaterria ! (Italian Ice Cream Shop) )in Perugia .. is closed and I haven’t moved yet.. so my room still has no internet..

…So much to write I don’t really know where to start…
well I guess I can start by catching you guys up with what happened before my last post that I didn’t think to include while rushing to post at the cyber Café…
On Saturday a group of foreigners and I got on a bus for about 45mins and arrived at a small version of a mall where there was a store that resembled Stop & Shop ( Provigo ou IGA pour mes Quebecois! ) So you can guess that I went grocery shopping! Lol probably the only kind of shopping I almost like.. * Anyways.. So I bought the essential you know.. wine, cheese, bread , cereal, crackers, grapes, yogurt, lettuce and apples… that’s what ill be living on for a while.. when I’m not out discovering Italian cuisine :-)
Once I got back to my “room” my elderly landlady insisted on bringing me to her other house out in the country side where I could possibly move too… but first she brought me to the cemetery where her parents, her brother, her husband , and one of her daughters in buried… A bit emotionally awkward it was since I’ve only known this lady.. 3.5 days ?? Italian cemeteries are a different than American cemeteries.. Most people (that can afford it ) are I think? Cremated and placed inside a wall? That is erected in the middle of a gated wall… my landlady had a whole section dedicated to her family.. It’s hard to explain.. but .. to put it in simple words.. People in Italy are “buried” above ground. Those that can afford it however are actually buried underground with a simply cross at the top of the designated area.. I didn’t take pictures.. Because I didn’t think id be appropriate… with the whole… soul can be captivated by a lenses thing.. I don’t really need any spirits following me around…
My little old lady’s house was located at least a few miles away from my school ( not exactly what id want to walk at 6.30 in the morning .. to get to class at 8. Am ….) In a apartment looking neighborhood…like projects.. or condos… all on top of each other. With your neighbor’s window 20 feet away from yours… I don’t mean to make it sound… horrible ? but .. I was a bit disappointed.. as it looked like something.. id seen a million times before… I wont be staying there..
My Saturday ended with me meeting up with a few Sweden exchange students, and going out to eat..at this.. semi-facy Italian restaurant.. they all had seafood based pasta**.. I stuck with gelato..

*for those of you that care to know more about me and shopping.. ask and ill tell.. lol
** for those that know how fond of seafood I am….especially the smell…. You understand..

No comments:

Post a Comment